Here’s what to do.

Whenever you lose power, many consumers think you should report outages to the company that sends you your bill, your residential electric provider; however, you actually need to report the outage to your Transmission and Distribution Utility (TDU). Your TDU is responsible for reliability issues, such as power outages, downed power lines and maintenance. Please call the number listed on your bill if you have an electrical emergency or a power outage.

CenterPoint Energy 800-332-7143 or 713-207-2222
Oncor 888-313-4747
TNMP 888-866-7456
AEP 866-223-8508
Sharyland 956-668-9551

You can see the outages in your area by clicking on the link to your TDU’s outage tracker
CNP Outage Tracker | AEP Outage Tracker | Oncor Outage Tracker

Outage or Emergency